Monday, June 21, 2010

Circle of Trust


Well I have started (a day early) on my Birthday resolution (since it didn't stick when I made the same resolution on New Years) to get back in shape (ugh) or at least loose the extra pounds I have recently discovered on my keister. I woke up this morning to a husbandless and kidless house (thanks Grammy) and suddenly the motivation hit me...quickly before it left again, I hopped on the treadmill and ran/walked for 20 minutes. I count it as a raging success due to the fact that I required no medical treatment for lack of oxygen after. Woohoo
Still full of motivation (oh and a bit of shame for the 3rd night in a row for some type of chocolate dessert..birthday chocolate, what was I to do?) I decided to take Sampson for a walk tonight. He has mellowed significantly from when he was a puppy, however his attention span is still very very short, and he is distracted easily (children, smelly bushes, dogs, rabbits, lizards..you name it, he will literally pull me off the trail to investigate it-strong like bull). He listens really really well when none of these distractions are present. I was feeling really brave tonight and Sampson and I have been working on our trust issues lately. For the past couple of days I have been letting him out the front door (without a leash) to follow me to the car and gather my things. So far, so good, however I have been really careful to look for all possible distractions before letting him out. Well tonight was a major break through..about 4 houses away from my house, I scanned the area thouroughly and then took his leash off. I got a little nervous when I called him 3 times and he didn't respond (because he found a bush he really liked) but I did not let my hesitations stand in the way of progress. I coolly walked away toward's my house calling him as I walked...and he followed me, right to the door to wait for a treat. Yay! He's got Andy potential, I can feel it. I dream of the day I no longer have to wrestle him on the leash and try to deal with kids bikes, scooters, holding kids hands while crossing busy streets all while trying just to walk at a normal pace and not be forced into an awkward run. Maybe just maybe he will calm down enough to walk next to me with no restraints?? Well anyway, he's certainly been a good boy tonight, just had to brag about him. Well its officially after 12 now, Happy Birthday to me! Night all.

2 comments:

  1. This is a test post because Keyla is helping me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck with the dog training. i hope it works out better for you than it did for me. i eventually gave up and decided riah is just always going to be aggressive on the leash. i'm sure it could have been trained out of her when she was young but i waited too long to address it. and good for you for getting back into exercising!

    and happy happy birthday, dear sister! i love you so so much.

    ReplyDelete